Friday, November 12, 2010

Disconnect with God?

What are the dangers of having a relational disconnect with God?

This is something we all need to be familiar with and needs to be addressed. I would venture to say that this is a problem that all of us have faced at the least and very well may be facing right now. That still doesn’t answer the question, what is the danger?

Well I believe the danger is just that, not experiencing a relationship with God.

If we are not in a relationship with Christ we will not be growing in our spiritual walk with God. We see that in John 15:2 “ He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit…” and again in verse 5 and 6 “…apart from me you can do nothing. If you do not remain in me, you are like a branch that is thrown away and withers...” I’m really not that into the idea of being cut off from God. I do not like it at all. I would rather be the vine that is producing fruit and living a vibrant life for Christ. This too is modeled in John 15.

I also believe that by not having a relationship with God we will also experience disconnect from others. I cannot think of any scripture to back this up so I guess it is an opinion. However, I have seen this the case in my life at times when I am not walking with Christ I have a tendency to pull away from other relationships that I have, I have also seen this in the lives of friends, roommates, and guys in my Bible studies and Discipleship.

I believe that the reason that we pull away from other relationships in a time of not walking with God is because of the sin that we are committing. When we are living in sin we are at our most core ashamed of that and that causes us to pull away from all other relationships because we do not want to be confronted about our sin.

I think CS Lewis hit the nail on the head when he said “Either the Bible will keep you away from sin, or sin will keep you away from the Bible."

*this is assuming that you have Godly relationships with fellow believer’s.

I believe that it is of the up most importance to have relationships with short accounts in order to keep you in a good, safe place spirituality. Relationships where you talk about what you are struggling and where you are challenged to continue to fight against those struggles, if you are not experiencing this type of relationships seek them out, find them. It is the best think you can do for yourself spiritually!

I could go on about this topic but I believe I’ll save that for another day! I mean after all this is the second day in a row I’ve blogged!

Shout out to my boy Steven Mandeville, for getting me thinking on this topic this morning. He’s got some good stuff at smandeville.blogspot.com go check it out.

2 comments:

Steven said...

I'm smelling what youre stepping in big daddy.I agree with your statements. I'm picking up what you're putting down. I hear what you're saying. I'm smellin what you're cookin. I feel you dawg. I hear you my brotha. Excited to hear what else you got bro man! I think that's the most complete way I can agree with you haha. Dude have a great night, excited about pine cove!
Your boy, Mandy candy

leah marie. said...

yo bro.
i finally posted too.

can't believe you did 2 in a row!

LOVE YOU! MISS YOU!