Sunday, December 6, 2009

I Love Christmas Time



This is what I wore to the Annual Tacky Christmas Sweater Party! Isn't it awesome!?!

Now on to me rambling:

One: It really angers me when people say happy holidays. This is Christmas! That's all I will say about this.

Two: The sermon that I heard on Sunday from Robert Cupp at Fellowship NWA was really good and very convicting, so I think I will pass along my convictions. His sermon was entitled "Three Huge Responsibilities." These three responsibilities that he talked about; The Great Commission, The Great Example, and The Great Commandment, are all things that we have heard taught what seems like hundreds of times. However, this time they struck me in a new way, guess it could just now be getting through my hard head. What ever it was it got to me, so here goes.

The First Responsibility being The Great Commission (Matt. 28:19-20) In this passage we are commanded to make disciples, baptize them, and teach them. I sat there thinking yeah, I know this, I even do this. I disciple 2 younger students, but then I started thinking: do i really live a full out lifestyle of the great commission? Am I always looking for opportunities to take the Gospel to those in need? Sure I am doing some, but can I do more? I feel like God has been growing me in this area a lot lately.

The Second Responsibility being The Great Example (John 3:13-14)This is the story where Jesus washes the Disciples feet. If Jesus is willing to wash others feet, shouldn't we as His followers be willing to also do so? Jesus was consistently in service to those around Him. We call ourselves followers of Christ, if this is true why is it that we are so hesitant to serve those around us? This one hit me like a brick, I can do so much more for others than I do.

The Third Responsibility being The Great Commandment (Matt. 22:37-39)We all know this one; Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, and mind; and love your neighbor as yourself. This one is pretty easy, but at the same time very hard to do. It is simple in the fact that we love God, this is the easier of the two. It should be easy to love God; just think of all that he has done for us, but at the same time we so often take for granted the love that God has for us. The love your neighbor part, not so easy. Although, if we love God with all our heart, soul, and body then we have the love of God inside of us. Therefore, all we have to do is reflect the love that God is showing us onto others. Why is this so hard? Easy, sin. We don't want to love others for many reasons, but we have to understand that no matter what that other person, or even our ourselves, have done God still loves us, and God loves all and forgives all. We as followers of Christ are also commanded to do so (Colossians 3:13)It seems that God is constantly teaching me about His love, and for that I am thankful.

At the end of the sermon I wrote down two simple questions down to ask myself and I will also share those with you:

How am I (are you) doing with these three responsibilities?

What can I (you) do more to carry out these responsibilities?

4 comments:

leah marie. said...

luke...yes, it is christmas...but thanksgiving and new year's are awful close to christmas. so, i think that may be why some people say "happy holidays". I don't think they are always trying to down-play christmas.

BUT that's just what i think.

LOVE YOU!

Luke said...

you say happy holidays before dec. 4th and after dec. 28. END OF STORY all days between then one is to say MERRY CHRISTMAS.... END OF STORY

Just saying

leah marie. said...

oh puhleeeeze.

whatev.

LOVEYOU

leah marie. said...

time to blog again!