I have had some, what I like to think, healthy thought processes lately on temptation.
So I thought that I would put it out here so others would have the opportunity to process it themselves.
In Luke 4:1-13 we see how Christ responded to temptation.
First of all it is important to notice that in verse 1 it says "Jesus, full of the Spirit, returned..." If we are not full of the Spirit we will never be able to with stand temptations in our life. I know I need to constantly be asking the Spirit to fill my life...
The devil temps Jesus in verse 3 and in verse 4 Jesus responds to the temptation with scripture, and again in verses 5,6&7 the devil tempts Jesus once again Jesus responds with scripture in verse 8. After this we see the devil take a different approach to the way that he temps Christ, he uses Scripture to temp Jesus in verses 9,10&11 and once again Christ responds with scripture.
Jesus fought temptation with scripture, shouldn't we also? I know for me this means that I need to be more intentional in knowing scripture...
Another passage of scripture that comes to mind when I think about fighting temptation is James 4:7-10. Here we are told to "Submit ourselves to God.Resist the devil, and he will flee from you come near to God and he will come near to you.." and to "humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will lift you up."
I think it is so healthy to be thinking and praying this for our life every day, that we would submit to God, resist the devil, draw near to God and humble ourselves before God!
For me, knowing this and doing it is where the men are separated from the boys... I know it, but how well am I doing it?
Just some thoughts, thanks for reading.
Be cool my babies
3 comments:
I like the new look; and good observations from Luke 4. You're right, putting it into practice is the true test.
When did my baby cousin get so grown up and profound? Seriously Luke, I LOVE to read what you write...and in your profile, just to clarify...you are most definitely a special guy! :) Miss ya, maybe we'll catch this weekend--Go Hogs!
bro...update it dude
Post a Comment